Since its establishment in 1870, Tung Wah has been offering, developing and managing hospital services for the Hong Kong public. Five hospitals had since been built, including Tung Wah Hospital, Kwong Wah Hospital, Tung Wah Eastern Hospital, TWGHs Wong Tai Sin Hospital and TWGHs Fung Yiu King Hospital.
Establishing Partnership with Hospital Authority
The Hospital Authority (HA) was set up by the Government on 1 December 1990 to manage all public hospitals in Hong Kong. Under the agreement between HA and the Board of Directors of Tung Wah, Tung Wah’s five hospitals have joined the HA since 1 December 1991.
Actively Managing and Financing the Hospitals
According to the Hospital Authority (HA) Ordinance, all public hospitals in Hong Kong are required to establish a Hospital Governing Committee (HCG) to oversee the management of the public hospitals, as well as to advise HA of the service needs and the resources required to meet those needs. Under the HA structure, the Board continues to participate actively in the management of Tung Wah’s five hospitals through a majority representation in the HGC of the hospitals. At the same time, the Board works closely with its hospital staff in fostering the traditional values of Tung Wah to serve the local community. Tung Wah provides a wide range of financial support to the activities and development of its hospitals and their staff through allocation of donated funds, including:
- Construction of hospital buildings and provision of facilities
- Renovation and refurbishment of wards and service areas
- Acquisition of furniture and equipment
- Organizing staff training and development programmes
- Organizing social and other activities for fostering Tung Wah’s culture and values